Survey data supports need for expanding broadband access and adoption in Jones County, Texas
Jones County, Texas (August 30, 2021) – Connected Nation Texas (CN Texas) recently presented Jones County with a technology action plan developed from data collected during a county-wide survey. Between February 2021 and May 2021, Jones County conducted a comprehensive survey of broadband technology access and adoption across the community that collected responses from 646 households in addition to over 60 businesses and healthcare organizations.
Key findings include:
- Fewer than 35% of homes have access to adequate broadband speeds (25/3)
- 56% of internet-connected households are dissatisfied with their current service
- 60% of employed respondents say they telework
- The average monthly cost for those with home internet service is $71.89
- The average internet speed reported by households in Jones County (16.3 Mbps) is significantly lower than connections in other Connected communities (33.8 Mbps) surveyed
“It is apparent that the last year has changed how our residents are working and how our local businesses are dealing with customers. With a majority already teleworking and many businesses looking at expanding their markets using online access, I expect this number to continue growing. It is important that Jones County residents have access to adequate and reliable internet,” said Jones County Judge Dale Spurgin.
To date, the Connected Community Engagement Program has helped more than 650 communities with similar broadband pains. CN Texas staff analyzed data and held frequent meetings with community officials to determine specific community needs.
The following recommendations have been made for improving broadband access and adoption in Jones County:
- Improve broadband speeds and connectivity in Jones County through strategic partnerships.
- Develop a Technology Action Committee.
- Market Jones County as a digitally prepared and engaged community.
“Creating an actionable plan that helps Jones County close the Digital Divide is what this program is all about. With a plan in place, funding support and community leaders committed to the project, Jones County is well on its way to becoming a Digital-Ready Community,” said Jennifer Harris, State Program Director for Connected Nation Texas.
To view the full results of the Jones County broadband surveys, check out: https://connectednation.org/jones-county-texas/
To learn more about the Connected Community Engagement Program, visit: https://connectednation.org/connect-my-community/
# # #
About Connected Nation Texas: CN Texas is a local division of the national nonprofit Connected Nation. Our mission is to improve lives by providing innovative solutions that expand access to and increase the adoption and use of broadband (high-speed internet) and its related technologies for all people. Everyone belongs in a Connected Nation.