Refugio County, Texas (September 21, 2021) – Located in Southeast Texas, and only an hour from Corpus Christi, Refugio County is ready for a plan to expand their broadband access. After months of collecting data, Connected Nation Texas (CN Texas) presented a broadband executive summary and action plan developed for Refugio County.
A broadband survey was conducted between January 2021 and May 2021 to determine the community’s access to the internet and understanding of adoption and use of broadband. The study collected responses from 189 residential households. The funding for this project was provided by the Texas Rural Funders, who have sponsored more than two dozen similar projects throughout the state.
“I want the community to be able to fill out insurance forms, bank forms, and governmental forms on-line.” said County Judge Blaschke. “I want the community prepared for the next disaster. After Hurricane Harvey, many governmental agencies only accepted on-line applications adding it is not a matter of if another disaster happens, but when it will happen. Educating the residents on digital skills is a priority for the county. “
Key takeaways from the study include:
- 91% of households can access broadband; however, only 65% of households that responded to the survey subscribe to a fixed broadband service
- Cost and availability are the two primary barriers to home broadband adoption
- 92% of county residents surveyed say they are interested in more internet choices
The action plan addresses the following:
- Increasing broadband adoption by promoting and advancing digital literacy and jobs skill training
- Developing a long-term strategy for continuous improvement and advancement of broadband speeds in Refugio County
- Gathering necessary information about private or federal programs to help with cost of internet services in the community
“Refugio County leadership is committed to its residents, businesses, and all sectors to bring about affordable broadband,” said Pamela Waggoner, Broadband Solutions Manager for CN Texas. “I hope the CN action plan and other regional resources will benefit the entire community.”
To view the full results of the Refugio County broadband survey, check out:
To date, the Connected Community Engagement Program has helped more than 650 communities with similar broadband challenges. CN Texas staff analyzed data and held meetings with community officials to determine specific community needs.
To learn more about the Connected Community Engagement Program, visit: https://connectednation.org/connect-my-community/
# # #
About Connected Nation Texas: CN Texas is a local division of the national nonprofit Connected Nation. Our mission is to improve lives by providing innovative solutions that expand access to and increase the adoption and use of broadband (high-speed internet) and its related technologies for all people. Everyone belongs in a Connected Nation.
Share this Post